Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Packing It In

The last time I blogged with Lady Scribes, it was mere days before Nationals, and with my handy green bag all packed for the big trip (remember this?), I was a bundle of excitement for all that the event might hold. There were many things I knew to expect: the great workshops, the inspiring speeches, and the opportunity to meet in person many of the wonderful people I interact with everyday on the internet. There would be chances to meet elusive editors, a few exciting NYC dining experiences, and the occasional star sightings (Lisa Kleypas! Julia Quinn! Eloisa James! Sabrina Jeffries!).

Interestingly, of all the things I anticipated, one thing that I didn’t expect was to have people tap me on the shoulder and exclaim, “You’re the packing girl!”

But let me tell you—it made my day more than once.

As a matter of fact, I had at least fifteen people stop me in the hall or introduce themselves on the elevator to me by saying “I fit everything in one carryon!” Each time, my heart swelled with joy and I would congratulate them on a job well done. Take that, bag-fee-charging-airlines and clueless bag handlers! You’re no longer the boss of us, so take your fees and did-that-tag-say-LaGuardia-or-Laguna-Beach-oh-who-cares apathy somewhere else, thank you very much.

But for all the packing converts, there were still those who still weren’t sure about the whole idea of using just one carryon. They wondered what it was, exactly, that my little bag held. Could I truly survive the nine day trip (five days at conference and another four on vacation visiting my sister) with only the items stuffed in that one carryon? Several expressed concern that they would be wearing the same thing over and over again if they tried to have only one bag.

So, for those wondering how many outfits, exactly, I fit in that little green suitcase, I offer you the following video:



And yes – that song will be in your head for the rest of your day, lol. In case you lost count, that was fifty-one outfits :) I hope this helps convert those last unbelievers – you too can travel unencumbered! I have the utmost faith in you.

As a quick aside, I would like to offer a heartfelt thank you for all of the sweet well-wishes I received leading up to the Golden Heart awards. I didn’t walk away as the winner, but the entire experience could not have been more wonderful. Also, the month since conference has been very exciting for me indeed. I am thrilled to announce that I sold to NAL in a 3-book deal shortly after returning from NYC. Hooray! You may notice that I am now sporting a brand new, shiny pen name. As Penguin already publishes an Erin Kelly, I got to change things up a little bit. So, while my new name is Erin Knightley, I’d just like to say that you are more than welcome to just call me the Packing Lady :)

As for the next conference I go to, I’m thinking I should have luggage tags printed up to hand out to anyone who tells me about their packing victory. My question to you is… What should the tags say? Come on now – be creative!

I’ll start it off: "This is all the baggage I come with!" "Proud to be a (one) bag lady!"

18 comments:

  1. Oh, Erin, you always crack me up!!

    How about "It most certainly DOES fit under my seat."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha! Ava, that is hilarious - and a top contender!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic video! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you enjoyed it, Sonja! I had a blast making it. I dumped my whole suitcase on the dining room table and went to town :) Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is brilliant. As brilliant as you are. LOL. I'm trying to convert my mom to your methodology.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, thanks Catherine! I have faith that you can convert your mother - you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant and Beautiful, you are an absolute MAGICIAN!! Love Love this video...and I love my new packing cubes too!!! Way to go, Packing Lady:) As for the tag "This is NOT a floatation device" maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay, Kara- another packing cube convert! Maybe the tags should say "Just call me Mary Poppins" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL love the video, Erin. And you're an absolute doll! My tag? Caution: Head protection required! =P

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved that video! You are a genius, and I am calling you next time I have to pack. You would be horrified at the amount of STUFF I bring along on vacation, lol! My tag would be: See size really DOESN'T matter! OR, if you want to get snarky: TSA Warning- I really wouldn't if I were you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Suzie - that is hilarious and so true! The bag does get a wee bit heavy, lol :)

    Olivia, I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything - it would have been all over my screen :-) When it comes to the TSA, I want so bad to be snarky, but not sure I want to risk the rubber glove!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats again on the sale. Great video. Now I have to go find some other earworm so I can work.

    How about for your tag:

    It's not fiction how many outfits I carry.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha - too cute, Beth! And sorry about the earworm - at least its a good one! Thanks so much for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Next I fly, I will be packed perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That video is AMAZING, sweetie! I feel like such a slacker watching it! Everyone knows I am the luggage queen and I fly Southwest for one reason, and one reason only - 2 checked bags and a carry-on for free! I had one bag just for my SHOES for conference! It's a sickness. I know.

    For the tag?


    "Luggage? We don't need no stinking luggage!"

    "What will I do if I run out of clothes? I'm a romance writer! I'll go naked!"

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope so, Nancy!


    Oh my goodness, Louisa - you're killing me! If it's a sickness, then I'm prescribing rewatching the first video, lol. BTW - Your tags are hilarious! Especially love the second one :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're so adorable! I always try my best to pack into one carry-on, but more often than not it spills over to a purse and a laptop bag. I still manage bypassing the fee though!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks, BookGeek! And...yes, I do have a bit of spillage into the laptop bag (Shh - don't tell anyone) ;) But still - YAY for no fees!! That's top priority in my book :)

    ReplyDelete